HomeFUCK YEAH FRIENDS CAPSCalendarFAQSearchUsergroupsRegisterLog in

+++ click on the picture above for details on friends marathon +++
Central Perk's Friends Marathon is about fans uniting and re-watching this amazing show together!

Share | 
 

 Talk about your city!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
his_lobster
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 901
Join date : 2011-08-01
Age : 26

PostSubject: Talk about your city!   Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:54 pm

So I would LOVE to know more about how it is where you guys are from! You can say anything you'd like because I want to hear everything! Even if you hate it, say why! ;D

I'll start with mine....

I live in Philadelphia, PA, USA. The city is VERY diverse. Why? Well, we have many parts that are drowning with crime; yet, we have other parts that are wonderful and quiet! The part I live in is somewhat bad, depending on what street it is. There are some streets that you hear their name and you KNOW they are bad. But the other kinds of neighborhoods are basically for rich people haha!

Historically, Philly (the unofficial name) is very important! In the center of the city there is a neighborhood dedicated to our history. For example, where the Liberty Bell is, and where the Independence Hall is.

Food wise, we're famous for our cheesestakes! And let me tell you, they are AMAZING!!!!!!

But i don't know what else to say... hahhaa

_________________
see? he's her lobster!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://twitter.com/gardhytejeda
SmellyCat
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 263
Join date : 2011-08-09
Age : 20

PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   Mon Sep 26, 2011 7:53 am

I live in Birkirkara, Malta. It's the largest city on the island with a population of 240,000. It's a generally loud and lively place, though there are some areas completely inhabited by pensioners so it's rather quiet. The crime rate is next to nil, but we have the next worst thing: drunken teenagers and people that don't care.

_________________
We thought Phoebe would leave,
But she just stayed and stayed.
That's right, here all night.
And Chandler will never get l- HEY!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://haaaaaaveyoumetted.tumblr.com/
channy
Admin
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2011-07-31
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:18 am

I live in Nikšić, Montenegro, which is in the Balkans and it's a city of 75,000 people so you can assume it's pretty small and kinda conservative.

Any kind of crime, deviation or rule-breaking is in disguise and it's mostly masked (and run) by the government and this applies not only to the city I live in but the whole country. I could go into all those details but a) it'd take hours and b) i'm too exhausted lmao

Culturally, we're not developed at all, we don't have a cinema, theater, what young people mostly do is hang out at random pubs, drink, smoke and get high. If they don't do that, they usually hang out at those places to find girlfriends/boyfriends and those relationships usually result into having sex and not seeing each other anymore. (actually, you can't avoid people you sleep with here, unless you sleep with foreigners.) Everyone knows everyone, so you can assume people tell stories that are both true and false about other people and honestly that's pretty much the only thing they do. My dentists is a 30 years old single lady and the only things she can talk about are other people and their lives and their business. So you can see people are not so open-minded nor cultural, which is sad.

When it comes to anything that Montenegro gave to the world - I can't think of anything tbh. The food we eat is mainly turkish (there might be some dishes that are originally ours), we don't really have any world wide famous brands or anything. I mean, it's a pretty small country after all. I think the main problem is that people are unable to grasp and adopt other cultures...

When it comes to the landscape, some people say it's unnaturally beautiful, and it really is, it's rocky and green and sunny so I guess people like that... Like, for example, almost every house has its own garden or a mini orchard. We have all kinds of fruit trees thrown around our yard and we have a huge grapevine as some kind of a terrace so I guess that can be interesting taken that in huge cities people mostly live in buildings and such.

Lol I could talk about this for hours but I'll just stop right here for now :D

_________________
fuck yeah friends caps
"I said it first, bro."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fuckyeahfriendscaps.tumblr.com/
his_lobster
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 901
Join date : 2011-08-01
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:27 am

SmellyCat wrote:
I live in Birkirkara, Malta. It's the largest city on the island with a population of 240,000. It's a generally loud and lively place, though there are some areas completely inhabited by pensioners so it's rather quiet. The crime rate is next to nil, but we have the next worst thing: drunken teenagers and people that don't care.

sounds so lovely!!! :D Except the part about the drunken teens!! hahaha

channy wrote:
I live in Nikšić, Montenegro, which is in the Balkans and it's a city of 75,000 people so you can assume it's pretty small and kinda conservative.

Any kind of crime, deviation or rule-breaking is in disguise and it's mostly masked (and run) by the government and this applies not only to the city I live in but the whole country. I could go into all those details but a) it'd take hours and b) i'm too exhausted lmao

Culturally, we're not developed at all, we don't have a cinema, theater, what young people mostly do is hang out at random pubs, drink, smoke and get high. If they don't do that, they usually hang out at those places to find girlfriends/boyfriends and those relationships usually result into having sex and not seeing each other anymore. (actually, you can't avoid people you sleep with here, unless you sleep with foreigners.) Everyone knows everyone, so you can assume people tell stories that are both true and false about other people and honestly that's pretty much the only thing they do. My dentists is a 30 years old single lady and the only things she can talk about are other people and their lives and their business. So you can see people are not so open-minded nor cultural, which is sad.

When it comes to anything that Montenegro gave to the world - I can't think of anything tbh. The food we eat is mainly turkish (there might be some dishes that are originally ours), we don't really have any world wide famous brands or anything. I mean, it's a pretty small country after all. I think the main problem is that people are unable to grasp and adopt other cultures...

When it comes to the landscape, some people say it's unnaturally beautiful, and it really is, it's rocky and green and sunny so I guess people like that... Like, for example, almost every house has its own garden or a mini orchard in front of it. We have all kinds of fruit trees thrown around our yard and we have a huge grapevine as some kind of a terrace so I guess that can be interesting taken that in huge cities people mostly live in buildings and such.

Lol I could talk about this for hours but I'll just stop right here for now :D

omg no cinemas/theaters??? :( i could live in those places!! I do like how your sounds though!! i love nature so much and it sounds beautiful!! post some pictures!! smile

_________________
see? he's her lobster!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://twitter.com/gardhytejeda
channy
Admin
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2011-07-31
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:39 am

I know! I feel so embarrassed whenever I mention the fact that we don't have cinemas, it's UNACCEPTABLE!

J-man took this maybe a month ago, this is the bay of Kotor. Our mediterranean cities/towns are truly beautiful.
This picture was already uploaded and it's a widely known fact that I'm too lazy to function so I'll just c/p this one until I upload actual pictures of some very interesting places. XD

_________________
fuck yeah friends caps
"I said it first, bro."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fuckyeahfriendscaps.tumblr.com/
his_lobster
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 901
Join date : 2011-08-01
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:42 am

yes that is crazy not having a cinema!
hahahahaha but it's BEAUTIFUL!!!!! It looks cold though!! How's the weather??

_________________
see? he's her lobster!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://twitter.com/gardhytejeda
channy
Admin
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2011-07-31
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:46 am

The summers are pretty short but maybe too hot (even though I love summer), and the winters/falls are way too cold, not like Russia cold but still pretty cold. And it rains way too much but we get to experience everything, the snows, the rains, the heats so izz all gewd haha

_________________
fuck yeah friends caps
"I said it first, bro."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fuckyeahfriendscaps.tumblr.com/
his_lobster
Moderator
avatar

Posts : 901
Join date : 2011-08-01
Age : 26

PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   Mon Sep 26, 2011 9:48 am

hahaha i don't like cold UNLESS I have some very good protection from it and I'm cozy! hahaha

your city sounds awesome though!!! smile

_________________
see? he's her lobster!
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://twitter.com/gardhytejeda
lexcentralperk

avatar

Posts : 766
Join date : 2011-08-31
Age : 29
Location : Brazil

PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   Mon Sep 26, 2011 2:42 pm

channy wrote:
Everyone knows everyone, so you can assume people tell stories that are both true and false about other people and honestly that's pretty much the only thing they do. My dentists is a 30 years old single lady and the only things she can talk about are other people and their lives and their business.

I lived in a very similar city in my childhood/puberty and omg, I hated there. Closed-mind people that just know to talk about each other.

I have been living in Cachoeiro de Itapemirim, ES, Brazil, for almost 5 years now.The city has de 189 878 people and we have a pretty tropical weather most part of time. We have shopping malls, cinemas, a theater and lots of restaurants. Talking about food, that's something there is a lot around here, and all the kinds (maybe not all, but it's very varied). The city is pretty famous (even internationally) for being the main center of ornamental stones (like marble and granit) in Brazil. The Itapemirim river crosses the city, but honestly i can't remember how long it is and how far it goes in the state. The city is also famous in Brazil because of a famous singer (Roberto Carlos), who was born here (we even have a small museum about him). I don't really care abou that though hahaha.
In the past years, there has been a bit of a crimewave, mostly muggers and drug users, which is a bummer. But there are safe neighborhoods too, rich ones, poor ones... the capital of ES is more violent than here. Overall it's a nice city to live in.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sittingonthetopoftheworld.tumblr.com/
Andy

avatar

Posts : 651
Join date : 2011-09-01
Age : 29
Location : Cachoeiro de Itapemirim, Brazil

PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:43 pm

And you guys are always welcome to visit us! smile

_________________
New signature soon ;)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://centralfiles.tumblr.com/
JennyFriends

avatar

Posts : 371
Join date : 2011-08-02
Age : 22
Location : Brazil

PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:14 pm

Ok, let's see. I live in Guaruja, on the south coast of SP, Brazil. We have about 304 274 people. I don't know if it's a big city or I'm just too anti social, cause I don't feel like you guys, saying it's a city where "everybody knows everybody." It's a beach city, yeeees, but I don't live by the beach. The city is divided in two parts by a bridge, and I don't live in the cool part haha (it's just that everytime I say I live in Guaruja everyone's like "omg you live on the beach, you must go there all the time lol" and it's not like that.. I take a 10 minute bus to get on the beach..)
Anyway, it's a popular city for people who live in the inner cities of the state, so it's a tourist town, just like the cities around. We have all kinds of foods and a lot of different restaurants, but mostly tropical foods (I haaate seafood :S). And also we are known by our handicraft (I don't know if that's correct haha), it sells a lot to foreigners and tourists.
Like I said, I live on the uncool part of the city, but I like it anyway.Well, we have A LOT of poor parts (the favelas hehe) and some crimes. Also young people smoking and stealing, it's just normal here. The government try to hide that just showing the beach part, but over the bridge we have a very different reality. That's why tourists like this cuty so much. They just come, go to the beach, stay at hotels and eat good food and leaves. They think it's always beautiful and calm here, they don't even know we have an other side.

Well, I like my city though. I just wanted to go to a different neighborhood, over the bridge, closer to my school and my friends houses... but it's not like I'm dying to move, it's ok by me living where I live. I'm happy here :)
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChanChanMan

avatar

Posts : 145
Join date : 2011-08-01
Age : 24
Location : USA

PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   Wed Sep 28, 2011 4:04 pm

Reading these makes me want to visit every city mentioned. How cool would it be if we could all get together in person and learn about where we're from and our culture and our life long affinity for Friends? (Of course, we could do all of this online but it'd be so awesome to do this in person).

I am from San Francisco, California, United States of America. It has a population of about 800,000. It is foggy here all year long; a lot of people freak out when they see the fog because it moves. San Francisco is famous for a lot of things such as the Golden Gate Bridge, Chinatown, its geography, and financial institutions. I really enjoy living here because there's a lot to do and culturally diverse. Visit if you ever get the chance! :)

These are my favorites:
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://friendsdaily.tumblr.com
lexcentralperk

avatar

Posts : 766
Join date : 2011-08-31
Age : 29
Location : Brazil

PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:09 pm

This is a city I HAVE to visit before I die.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://sittingonthetopoftheworld.tumblr.com/
Andy

avatar

Posts : 651
Join date : 2011-09-01
Age : 29
Location : Cachoeiro de Itapemirim, Brazil

PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:58 pm

ChanChanMan wrote:
Reading these makes me want to visit every city mentioned. How cool would it be if we could all get together in person and learn about where we're from and our culture and our life long affinity for Friends? (Of course, we could do all of this online but it'd be so awesome to do this in person).

I am from San Francisco, California, United States of America. It has a population of about 800,000. It is foggy here all year long; a lot of people freak out when they see the fog because it moves. San Francisco is famous for a lot of things such as the Golden Gate Bridge, Chinatown, its geography, and financial institutions. I really enjoy living here because there's a lot to do and culturally diverse. Visit if you ever get the chance! :)

These are my favorites:

Your city reminds me of the show Charmed!

_________________
New signature soon ;)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://centralfiles.tumblr.com/
princessconsuela

avatar

Posts : 93
Join date : 2011-08-01
Age : 24
Location : England

PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:07 am

The town I live in is pretty dull, and the majority of people who live here are elderly. We do have 2 cinemas tho so that's something to be thankful for smile
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://justabeautifulunfolding.tumblr.com
channy
Admin
avatar

Posts : 466
Join date : 2011-07-31
Age : 24

PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:22 am

ChanChanMan wrote:
Reading these makes me want to visit every city mentioned. How cool would it be if we could all get together in person and learn about where we're from and our culture and our life long affinity for Friends? (Of course, we could do all of this online but it'd be so awesome to do this in person).

I am from San Francisco, California, United States of America. It has a population of about 800,000. It is foggy here all year long; a lot of people freak out when they see the fog because it moves. San Francisco is famous for a lot of things such as the Golden Gate Bridge, Chinatown, its geography, and financial institutions. I really enjoy living here because there's a lot to do and culturally diverse. Visit if you ever get the chance! :)

These are my favorites:
You are a very lucky lady.

_________________
fuck yeah friends caps
"I said it first, bro."
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://fuckyeahfriendscaps.tumblr.com/
Sponsored content




PostSubject: Re: Talk about your city!   

Back to top Go down
 
Talk about your city!
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1
 Similar topics
-
» Second City T-Shirt Design Contest
» Review: Batman Arkham City: Armored Edition (Wii U Retail)
» Lego City Undercover: The Chase Begins (Discussion)
» LEGO City Undercover: The Chase Begins (Codes)
» Retro City Rampage Arriving Soon On Wii

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Central Perk :: The one with all the fun :: General wonderingments-
Jump to: